How To Activate MFA For Your Favourite Smartphone Apps
July 23, 2020 | Tips & Tricks
Multi-factor Authentication is an added layer of protection you can add to the sign-in process for your devices, apps and online account.
The security of your personal information is as important as your work data. You don’t want your banking, health or other confidential information compromised at the hands of cybercriminals. The easiest gateway for cybercriminals to hack into your personal data is through your smartphone.
However, most mobile applications now have added Two-factor Authentication (2FA) towards the security of your personal information.
Here are the steps on how to activate 2FA to your favourite mobile apps like Amazon, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook.
How To Activate 2FA For Amazon
- On your Amazon App > go to the setting on the bottom right corner
- Scroll down to ‘Your account’ > under account settings > go to ‘Login & security’
- Scroll down to ‘Two-step Authentication’ > click on ‘edit’
- On the next pop-up screen, click on the yellow ‘Get started’ button
- Next step. choose your preferred security method options – text message or an authentication App > then click ‘continue’
- The final step is to add the security codes from your chosen security method to your amazon app and save the changes to complete the authentication.
How To Activate 2FA For WhatsApp
- On your WhatsApp > go to the setting on the bottom right corner
- Click on Account > Two-step verification > click on enable
- Set-up a 6-digit unique code > confirm the code (This code should be unique, complex and something you can remember)
- Add email address for recovery of your pin (Optional but important step)
- Your Two-step verification is done
How To Activate 2FA For Facebook
- On your Facebook App > go to the setting on the bottom right corner
- Scroll down to ‘Setting & Privacy’ > click on Setting & Privacy’ > then click on security
- Under ‘security’ > click on ‘Security and Login’
- Scroll down to Two-Factor Authentication > click on ‘Use two-factor authentication’ > Select a security method
- You can choose from the two security method options available: 2FA via text message or an authentication App.
- Once you have selected your chosen 2FA method > click the blue ‘continue’ button
- Enter your codes from your chosen step to your Facebook app and your 2FA is complete
How To Activate 2FA For LinkedIn
- On LinkedIn > Click on your photo icon on the top left corner > click on settings
- Go to account > Two-step Verification
- Click on the blue ‘Set up’ button > Choose your preferred verification method from the drop down > then click on ‘continue’
- Now, to verify your ask to add 2FA to your LinkedIn account you will be asked to confirm the change by adding your LinkedIn password.
- If you choose to authenticate using authenticator app, you will be asked to copy paste the link on your screen to the authenticator app
- In authenticator app, click on the ‘+’ > choose ‘other account
- Add account name ‘LinkedIn’> and paste the secret key that is copied from the LinkedIn App > click ‘finish’
- Now on the main screen of your authenticator app, you will see a 6-digit code, plug in those numbers in your LinkedIn App and your 2FA set-up will be complete
Wondering which MFA Authenticator App is the best for you? Read our post on Top 5 Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Software For Canada (2020)
How To Activate 2FA For Instagram
- On Instagram > go to your settings on the bottom right corner.
- Click on settings > Go to Security > Two-Factor Authentication
- Click on the blue ‘Get Started’ button
- You have two options to choose from 2FA via text message or an authentication App
- Put the codes from your text message or from your Authenticator App > Click ‘Next’
You could take a screenshot of the recovery codes which can be used when you have no access to your phone but would like to access your Instagram account, you could use these codes to log-in safely