The Difference Between an MSP vs. an MSSP
January 10, 2022 |
What is an MSP?
MSPs, or managed service providers, are companies that offer a wide range of technology services to their clients. This can include everything from network and system administration to help desk services and more. MSPs are becoming an increasingly popular option for businesses that need help managing their technology needs. A managed service provider usually takes care of:
- Managing IT infrastructure
- Offering technical support to staff
- Adding cybersecurity hardening to IT systems
- Managing user access accounts on clients’ systems
MSPs are the new IT rockstars of this digital age. They offer their expertise in software development and maintenance to help prevent problems on your system, regardless of whether it’s small or large-scale projects that you need to be done!
What is an MSSP?
An MSSP, or managed security service provider, is a company that provides security services to other companies. These services can include everything from firewall management to incident response. An MSSP can be a great option for companies that don't have the manpower or expertise to manage their security infrastructure.
- Firewalls (UTMs, NGFWs, etc.)
- Anti-virus (AV)
- Data loss prevention (DLP)
- Intrusion prevention systems (IPS)
- Threat Intelligence
- Identity access management (IAM)
- Privileged access management (PAM)
History of MSSP
IT security is a hot topic these days, and MSPs have been around for over twenty years. But recently there’s been an increasing demand from businesses that want to get ahead of the game – by partnering with one or more MSSPs in their area!
The concept of an MSSP began in the late 1990s with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and firewall appliances. At this time, ISPs offered their users the ability to manage firewalls for them, but there was a problem: managing security does not always fall within an ISP’s general domain services- so how can we separate these two offerings? One way would be by introducing protection into another service offering – called managed Security Services Providers or MSPs
The increase in cyber threats has led companies to outsource their security needs. MSSPs or Military subject matter experts have evolved over time and now provide full-service protection against these advanced hackers that are becoming more sophisticated by the minute!
When You Should Choose an MSSP
You know how to stay safe online, but there are still some things that can be done better. You might want a managed service provider for your IT needs because they will provide focused security and help you holistically from an applications perspective - or maybe just the latter if all of these services sound too complicated!
Some benefits of partnering with an MSSP include:
- The cost of employing internal security staff can be prohibitive for some companies. That's why they turn to MSSPs, who have expertise in providing proper cybersecurity and filling skill gaps within an organization’s team. The input will result in more than one output depending on what is being asked but generally speaking, this could go something like "Filling vacant roles". If you were looking specifically at just 'vacant positions' then there might only exist.
- With so many cyberattacks happening every day, you must have access to specialized cybersecurity expertise. A forensics specialist can investigate the situation and provide services if needed - this is what an MSSP does!
- Never underestimate the power of a good security system. An MSSP can provide continuous analysis and detection 24/7 in a SOC, responding quickly to all potential cyber threats with their experience on defense for your organization's needs.
- Cybersecurity is a growing problem for businesses of all sizes, but especially SMBs. Without proper security maturity and knowledge on how to implement MSSPs within their organization can be very difficult without compromising productivity or sensitive information like customer data which could lead them down an expensive path that they may not have been prepared enough financially go down before getting caught too far behind in this ever-changing digital world we live in today
- The best way to configure and manage cybersecurity solutions is help from an expert. Partnering with MSSPs can save you money by providing expert security management without the costs of establishing in-house talent teams, all while achieving better results than if they were done internally or through self-employment contracts alone!
- One of the biggest challenges for MSSPs is to find a solution that will work across multiple clients. By implementing cybersecurity services, they can provide this multi-tenant architecture support and versatility in one package all while keeping costs low with high protection ratings!
How Idealogical Solutions can help you
When you need both IT and security help, along with security services to keep that safe in this climate of remote work - it’s best for MSPs or MSSPs (MSP stands for the managed service provider) who specialize as partners. Your IT projects will be delivered by specialist teams while your cybersecurity monitored closely by experts; all under one contract!
We pride ourselves on being there for you, meeting your technology infrastructure and security concerns while keeping business up to date as well safe from potential risks. Contact us today if we can be helpful!Back to all blogs